Monday, August 18, 2008

The Test Results

Well I finally went to the doctor about some of the problems I've had over the past couple of months. I have a strong family history of thyroid problems and cholestrol problems - so it was reasonable to go have those things checked first. When I listed my symptoms to the doctor he was fairly convinced that I would have thyroid problems. Honestly, I was hoping I did - then maybe a pill a day would take some of my troubles away. But we were both shocked when those results came back fine. If the symptoms continue...I will have further hormone/thyroid testing done to get more specific results.
My cholestrol didn't come back so well. Overall it is 271 (which is high, but not scary by itself) but my "bad" cholestrol is 190. The doctor is going to let me start out with some natrual supplements to see if we can bring it down. He said it is obviously not diet - but genetic since my mother and grandmother run in the 400s without medicine and my sister who is a size 1 on a fat day and often eats vegetarian even has trouble with hers. He basically said for my weight/age it is an unexpected result. My first question was - so am I just getting fat and tired all the time??? He said that high cholestrol can make your blood a little more "sluggish" and might make me tired. So I have no explanation for some of the other problems.
I will have my cholestrol checked again before Thanksgiving. Here's hoping I can get it down without real drugs.

No comments: