Friday, August 22, 2008

Girl's Day 2008

This is our third annual Back to School Girl's Day. It's one day the week before school that Kaitlin and I run away together for an entire day. We usually have a nice sit down lunch and do a little back to school shopping. This year she chose a coffee shop for our lunch (she is a sucker for a coffee treat just like her mama). She also chose girls day to get her brand new hair cut for school. Then we did some shopping in a few of her favorite stores and got dippin dots. It is always a lovely day. We just come up with a few things we'd like to do and spend the day being flexible, because its just being together that makes it so great.
Another important part of girls day is that it keeps me accountable not to let more than a year go by without having a sit down talk about "girl stuff". Periods, puberty, boyfriends, sex, feeling embarrassed - all the topics that need a sit down discussion on at least an annual basis. These talks will get more frequent as puberty plows down its door in the coming years. But we have embarked on all of these discussions, and I am so thankful for the openness that is there. She asked some questions and shared some secrets (that she actually told me not to blog...not that i would have, but that was hilarious to me). We talked about the boyfriend deal. As I've said before....I frequently remind her....you can have lots of boys that are friends, but only one will be your husband. Any boy that will not be your husband is not worth your heartache, body, jealousy, etc. We made a list of what her husband must have (anyone else can immediately be written off as fairly unimportant). #1 He must love God with all his heart soul and mind #2 He must a-d-o-r-e her #3 He must be as awesome as her daddy
I considered adding #4 He must be able to support her $4 mocha-coffee drink habit!
Overall this girls day was fantastic. I am so blessed to be her mother and to have her as my friend. She is growing up so fast, and it is showing in so many ways. Just look at the hair cut pictures! God is bringing up the greatest gal in her, and I am so thankful that He lets me partner with him in raising her!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great day! You are a good mom - I love what you wrote about her future husband. She is beautiful!

Kathy - who use to live in Marshall :)

Rebecca said...

You've inspired me now. I need to do that with each of the girls as soon as Ella is old enough to be bandied all over tarnation in the sling without too much fuss. We've never really had a focused mother/daughter date, and they're almost seven now. That's kind of sad.