Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hot Sauce Recipe

I have had several requests for the hot sauce recipe I used at Christmas, so I decided to post it here. I received this recipe at a MOPS meeting around 2003 (I think). And I've just changed a few things to my own taste.

Hot Sauce
1. Fill blender with peeled/cored tomatoes (I always use canned)
2. Blend and pour into a heavy pan
3. Fill blender ¾ full with tomatoes again and add:
a. ½ tsp cumin
b. ½ tsp canning salt
c. ½ tsp garlic salt
d. ¼ tsp black pepper
e. ¼ tsp chili powder
f. ¼ large onion ( I like a lot of onion and I usually add more)
g. 2 large jalapeƱo peppers (I am wimpy, so I take the seeds out of mine. Brave souls, leave ‘em in there)
h. 1 Bell Pepper ( some people prefer banana peppers)
i. ¼ c white vinegar
j. Fresh cilantro to taste
4. Blend them all together
5. Add this mixture to the tomatoes in the pan
6. Bring to a boil – turn down to a simmer and simmer until it is the thickness you prefer (about 2 hours)
Canning
1. Have canning jars clean and hot
2. Have lids ready in boiling water (I use tongs to get them out)
3. Use a canning funnel to pour hot sauce (hot from pan) into hot jars. Do not fill all the way to the top. Wipe the rim of the jar and put the hot lid/ring on tightly.
4. You can also just put it into Tupperware and put it straight into the fridge. When I am making this just for our family, that is what I do. Of course refrigerate after opening even with the canned hot sauce

No comments: