Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jonathan


Jonathan is six years old. He can tie his shoes and open his own milk. When he stands next to me, the top of his head almost reaches the top of my shoulder. He has finally lost his first tooth. He is learning to read, and tries to read every sign and box we pass. He is growing in so many ways.
Lately the growth I am seeing in him is spiritual. There are many things that I have prayed over him since before he was born including that he would grow to be a man with a heart for the Lord. I have prayed those words over him many nights as he slept - a heart for the Lord. I have watched and wondered what kind of man the Lord would grow him to be. God is showing me glimpses.
I wouldn't even know how to begin putting Jonathan's spirit into words for a written blog. I have blogged often about his snuggling, but it is so much more than snuggles. It is the quiet spirit of affection that he offers in those snuggles. I have blogged about how introverted he is (that can't be denied), but there is a certain introspection that he offers in his shyness. But the thing I want to blog about today is the thing that we have seen growing in him since last year (and now looking back can see even before that) - leadership.
As early as Jonathan could talk he was looking out for others. If we offered him a treat (a gummy bear or apple slice) he would say in his sweet baby voice, "I wan two." I would give him two and he would take one to his sister (this was every time). When he was potty training and got gummy bears - his sister made out very well. She would encourage him to go potty knowing that he wouldn't take a treat without getting one for her! Looking back, I am going to call this a early sign of leadership, because I believe a good leader looks out for others. He somehow mastered this very early.
Earlier this year I was able to eat lunch with Jonathan in the cafeteria at the table with his friends. Kids from his table and tables around us kept coming up and handing Jonathan things - milk, ketchup packages, silverware packages. He would open whatever was handed to him, smile and hand it back. I realized very quickly that Jonathan had somehow become "the opener". He didn't mind the interruptions - it was obviously just what he did every day at lunch.
Recently Jonathan was given a test for Kindergarten level in which his teacher and I had to fill out parent/teacher evaluation forms. The last space on the form was labeled "leadership". Separately, she and I had each scored him highest in this area based on several questions:
Is sought out by peers for advice
Sensitive to the needs and concerns of others
A peacemaker
Inspires loyalty
Viewed as fair and caring
When asked for examples, his teacher noted that Jonathan is the "go to" guy in his class. Other students come to him when they need their shoes tied, help with a word or if someone is hurt on the playground.
I listed similar things, but I would also add (here because I didn't put this on the form) a note about "inspires loyalty." This kid has some sort of charm. He is loved everywhere he goes. Believe me - he puts no effort into this. He makes no attempts to "people please" or show off his best stuff. He just goes in with his quiet, calm spirit and he is just very easy to love.

I just wanted to get some of the many thoughts I've been having about this lately down on paper so that I can go back at a later time and see how he has continued to grow and change. It seems to be happening so fast. I think in some ways I am clinging and grasping, because whether or not a new baby is on the way - Jonathan is not a baby anymore. True he will not be the official "baby" of the family anymore in a few months. But a part of me has to confess (even though I tell him he will ALWAYS be my baby) he is no longer a baby already.


Things that make us stop and notice: Jonathan has been asking questions about the money in the offering plate at church, and Sunday he decided that he wanted to put his tooth fairy money in the plate. Then during children's church he offered to say the prayer. It was the combination of those two acts along with the school forms that really started my mind on this road of thinking about Jonathan's spiritual growth. May his heart continue to grow toward God all the days of his life.

No comments: