Tuesday, June 24, 2008

*Pulling My Hair Out*

Do you want the good news first or the bad news?

Good news: I made the president's list last semester. Randomly enough they mail that info to your home town newspaper, and it was in bold print here last week. Fancy that.

Bad news: After an e-mail to my advisor (the second one, because she doesn't ever respond the first time), I got this:

In your email, you mentioned graduating with a BA degree because you are not doing student teaching. Lisa, that is not an option is this program. The degree is a BSIS (Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies) and all students in this program must student teach unless they meet the eligibility requirements to have it deleted. As far as I know, you do not meet that criteria.

I responded showing her where I was told that I could forego student teaching and gain certification post bac. The e-mail was dated in Nov 07 when I was accepted into the program. She said, that they changed that in Feb. 08, and now I can't graduate unless I can student teach in East Texas (obviously not possible). I was never informed of this change. She said, "I can understand why you are confused." Yu-huh!!!
I am every pissed off emotion possible. I have no idea what to do next. Can I just be a SAHM forever and not need school (do not dare lecture me - I know I need my degree). Oh how I dread telling this to my mom and my sister. Do you have any idea how many college hours I have? Do you know how many A's I have that don't count for jack of anything??? Do you know I can't win for loosing right now? I am totally defeated...totally worthless... and about to be 30 without a college degree (again - no lectures - I'm pissed off and defeated here!) Do you know I am finishing this art class from Hades right now and it might not count for anything if I transfer schools again? I have 4 semesters of spanish that aren't counting - let's just add to the pile! I have enough hours to equal a degree, but nothing that gives me a degree! How's that for C-R-A-P! If one more thing rips, tears or breaks - I am going to go bald!

1 comment:

TSRH said...

Baby Girl

No lectures, just some history.

I started Kilgore Junior College in 1968, but had to drop out in 1969 because I couldn't survive financially.

I eventually got my AA at San Antonio College, while working full time, and started at St. Mary's University.

As the cost of St. Mary's was exorbitant, I transferred to the University of Texas at San Antonio when it opened. I came within 12 hours of a BA in Pschology at UTSA when I was promoted to Sergeant and sent to Houston.

I had too much work responsiblity to attend college at Houston and when I moved to Marshall, I could not afford to attend the Baptist College.

After a few years, I agreed to attend Northwestern University in Chicago for a year and picked up 24 hours.

In 1982, I realized that after attending five colleges since 1968, I had 121 hours and was no where near a degree.

After grieving for a few years, I started trying to find a school locally where I could go to school at night and keep my job (the internet was not invented).

The University of Texas did not offer night classes and Texas State did not offer what I needed at a time I could take it. I finally got into St. Edwards where it cost more money to attend than I thought I could ever find.

The only classes I could attend were on Saturday. Also, many of my classes were so old that they lacked "currency" and I had to take them over, plus I had to establish residency at my 6th college.

Bottom line: After 20 years of dead ends, wasted time, red tape, miscommunication, etc., I finally got my bachelor with 161 hours expended to earn a 120 hour degree.

Don't know if this helps, but your Daddy feels your pain in this matter more than anyone you know because I been there and done that.

Now grieve and chunk rocks into the cotton field for as long as it takes,then figure out a plan that best fits you and get your butt down the road toward your goals.